Today is Earth Day 2019, a day that is intended to inspire awareness and appreciation for the Earth’s natural environment. It was first held in 1970 and it is now celebrated by over 1 billion people in 175 countries every year.
In recognition of #EarthDay2019, some Nigerians, including past Fellows of the Cornell Alliance for Science Global Leadership Program participated in a tweet-chat where they called for access to innovation, responded to questions about Biotechnology, Genetically Modified Organisms and why gave reasons why the earth needs them. The conversations quickly caught on and soon became a top trending topic in Nigeria, and other parts of Africa and Asia, as biotechnology enthusiasts joined in.
See some of the questions asked, and responses by the audience.
1. Why is there an Earth Day?
2. What are the major challenges facing Mother Earth?
3. What challenges facing the earth affect AGRICULTURE?
4. But what is Biotechnology?
5. What are GMOs (Genetically Modified Organisms)
6. In what ways does Biotechnology benefit mother earth?
7. How will EARTH (and Nigeria) benefit from the commercialization of Bt Cotton and Bt Cowpea?
8. Are there side effects from using biotechnology?
9. Now you know why #WeNEEDBiotech, what would you do if you had the power?
There, reasons why #WeNEEDBiotech. Do you agree? Do you want to learn more about how you can help reduce poverty and hunger? Fill this form HERE and you will be contacted soon.