Much has been said about what people should do to prevent contracting coronavirus, but with 25 cases recorded in Nigeria in just under a week, more attention should be drawn to self care when people develop symptoms. There is an urgent need to spread information about what people can do to mitigate effects of the virus and prevent spread.
Below are a few coronavirus symptom management tips to protect yourself and people around you.
- If you have a fever over 38°c, take Paracetamol rather than Ibuprofen
- Stay home! This cannot be emphasised enough. This will not only stop the spread, but according to reports, people who are mildly ill with COVID-19 are able to recover at home. Do not leave, except to get medical care. Do not visit public areas.
- Distance yourself from other people, avoid visitors, especially family and friends. At home, stay in a specific “sick room” away from other people and use a separate bathroom, if available. Even when you feel better, keep your distance because you might still be infectious.
- Have a lot of rest and stay hydrated and keep warm.
- If you need to be around people such as delivery men or a health care provider, wear a mask and stay at least 2 metres apart from them.
- Stay in touch with your doctor at all times, call before you get medical care and be sure to get care if you feel worse or you think it is an emergency.