Portuguese superstar Cristiano Ronaldo was crowned Player of the Year at the Globe Soccer Awards in Dubai on Thursday night.
Ronaldo, who moved from Spanish giants Real Madrid to Serie A champions Juventus during the 2018 summer transfer window, pipped in-form French forwards Antoine Griezmann and Kylian Mbappe to the accolade for the fifth time. Griezmann, who plays for Atletico Madrid in the Primera Liga, and Mbappe, the rising Paris Saint-Germain and Ligue 1 star, enjoyed a successful 2018 for club and country. The pair were instrumental in France’s Fifa World Cup title win in Russia.
It was a wonderful night for others as well as they won big in the soccer awards:
- The former Brazilian forward, Ronaldo, was honoured with the Player Career Award, as was French footballer Blaise Matuidi.
- Didier Deschamps, he won the Best Coach Of The Year Award for his role in Les Bleus’ World Cup win.
- Zvonimir Boban, the former Croatian footballer currently serving as Fifa’s deputy secretary general, was bestowed the Special Career Award.
- Jorge Mendes – Best Agent Of The Year
- Fabio Paratici of Juventus – Best Sporting Director Of The Year
- Sami Al Jaber – Arab Career Award
- Atletico – Best Club Of The Year.