The New Year starts tomorrow. My twitter timeline is filled with people indulging in retrospection and re-evaluation. I was doing same as I was trying to write my year’s review. I also set goals for the New Year.
New Year’s resolutions are the perfect opportunity for us to start over, do new things, correct our mistakes from the past year and all of that.
I was talking to a few people then I realized some people don’t think it’s necessary to write New Year’s resolution. Others don’t know what to write. Well, now’s your chance to sit down and prepare a list of important lifestyle changes you want to make and as usual, I am here to help with a few suggestions.
Here’s 20 common New Year’s resolutions with a piece of advice on how to achieve them.
- Become more confident: Confidence is beautiful. People will listen to you more. Stop hiding in your comfort zone. Take some chances. Shoot that shot with work, love, anything. Ask people out on dates. A good dose of self-confidence will help you lead a much happier life overall.
- Earn more money: Every one needs money. Even Billionaires are always looking for ways to earn more money. In this New Year, work towards getting an additional source of income to make life a bit more comfortable. Get side jobs, become a freelancer. Use the internet to your advantage.
- Learn useful skills/fun hobbies: Use your free time in a constructive manner and pick up new skills while having fun at the same time. It could be something in writing, coding, anything. Just get something in your area of interest and follow it through.
- Stop procrastinating: Procrastination is a big barrier that keeps most people from reaching their goals. For you to achieve your set goals, you need to stop procrastinating and JUST DO IT. This is my theme for 2019. Just do it. There are tools online that help you organize and plan your day. You should get on any of them. It will help you achieve what you set for each day.
- Read more: Books help us in gaining knowledge on a huge variety of topics. Reading is also a great exercise for your brain. I want to read 30 books next year. You can jump on this too. You only need to make it a habit, discover your type of books and find a bit of time. Maybe give it an hour every morning before you go about your day or every night before you sleep.
- Volunteer and give more to charity: Devote your time and energy to helping those in need. It is a noble gesture. Did this a few times in 2018 and it was refreshing. It’s good to make other people happy. You can do charity with a few friends or volunteer with other people/organizations. Check online for opportunities.
- Face your fears and insecurities: This looks like being confident but it’s more than that. Fear and Insecurity are often the cause of several problems in our lives. Make it a point to surviving and controlling your fear, it will help you get over your insecurities.
- Start saving money: Start putting some money aside for the rainy days. You can use the extra fund to travel, buy a new gadget, a car, or even a house. It depends on how much you can save at the end of the day. I used Piggybankng in 2018 and I’m glad I did.
- Travel more: Yeah, this involves funds so you’ll need to have your finances in order and also plan ahead. Go to other places, meet new people, experience different cultures.
- Meet new people: Network, have fun, just meet new people. Don’t miss out on interesting opportunities because you want to stick with your old circle. Meeting new people can be beneficial to your mental well-being and also help your career if you do it right. Overcome your shyness and shoot that shot!
- Spend more time with the people that matter: There is just too little time in this life for us to waste it on insincere and toxic people. We should focus on the people who care about us and also make them happy.
- Learn a new language: Not only will learning a new language help improve your communication skills, it will also look great on your resume and possibly open up some doors for you. I was learning French on Duolingo app. I hope to continue this year. There are plenty other resources that allow you to learn a language for free and in your spare time. You can check online.
- Learn to say no: Be polite but learn to tell people you can’t when you can’t. Do not drown yourself while trying to lift others. It’s not good for your wellbeing.
- Turn your hobby into a career: It’s fun doing what you love and making money while at it. This may not always be possible but you can try. There are cases where a hobby can be turned into a lucrative career. What’s that thing you spend so much time on? Turn it into a career and make money out of it. I did this with twitter this year, you can do it too (with your hobby).
- Reduce stress: Everyone needs to do this. Don’t work all year round without taking time off every now and then. They say that stress is one of the biggest killers out there. If you breakdown, the work will go on without you. So learn to reduce stress for your health’s sake.
- Be Fashionable: Learn how to dress with style. The way you dress can say a lot about you, and wearing the right clothes can make you seem confident. On a very bright side, it can help you access opportunities and even catch the eye of that lovely girl or guy.
- Become tidier: There are a lot of slobs out there who can’t really get their stuff organized, and a cluttered desk or chaotic home will negatively affect your productivity and even your mood. Clean your house, tidy your desk and learn to live a more organized life.
- Get over an ex: I don’t know who needs to hear this but you need to get over that ex. Healing a broken heart is a process and takes time but you need to move on. Talk to other people. Go out more. These and other tricks would help you make it through without too much pain.
- Find a significant other: It’s tough out here, don’t make life too hard for yourself by playing “hard-guy/babe”. We all need someone to hold at night, talk to and share our deepest secrets with. Finding the right person is a matter of trial and error. Go out and find the one that you can get along with really well. We all need that one person.
- Have better sex: You can swing this into the suggestion above or just let it fly by itself. I mean they are mutually exclusive but better when they are together. The point is, sex can help us mentally and physically healthy. Make it fun and a rewarding experience. Get better at it with practice and exercise. Kill someone’s child with Enjoyment dear.
Bonus: Have a relationship with God. It is very important and do not forget to pray always.
Happy New Year in Advance!