It is no longer news that the Kano state government, led by Governor Abdullahi Ganduje has edethroned Muhammad Sanusi II from the throne of Emir of Kano. According to the Secretary to the State Government, Alhaji Usman Alhaji, the removal was in line with the recommendation of the Kano State Public Complaint and Anti-Corruption Commission which summoned the emir.
A few hours after Sanusi’s removal, a new Emir in the person of Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero was appointed by the Kano state government. The appointment was announced by the SSG and is said to take immediate effect.
We have compiled a list of facts, including previous appointments of the brand new Emir.
Son of a former Emir
Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero is the son of former Emir of Kano, Alhaji Dr. Ado Abdullahi Bayero who sat on the throne from 1963 until his death in 2014.
Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero is a Mass Communication graduate from Bayero University, Kano.
No stranger to royalty
Along with being the son of a former Emir, Bayero has also held positions in the Kano emirate, they include:
- His first public office came in 1990 when he was appointed a district head and Dan Maje Kano by his late father, the then Emir.
- From Dan Maje, he was promoted to Dan Buran Kano
- That promotion was followed by Turakin Kano and later Sarkin Dawakin Sakarin Gida Kano.
- When the just dethroned Emir, Sanusi Lamido came into power, Bayero was promoted to Wambe Kano, a senior counsellor in Kano emirate.
- On May 12, 2019, After Governor Umaru Ganduje divided the Kano Emirate into four, Bayero was appointed Emir of one of Bichi, one of the new emirates